I was super excited when I stumbled across this list of big eats in SF published by 7×7 a few months ago! Have you scrolled down this list yet?! Well, what are you waiting for?! This list is just amazing. No. Amazing does not even do it justice. It is freakin’ phenomenal!!
Unfortunately, I am sad that I did not post this earlier as there is only 28 days left of this year. However, I am still very much interested in trying all 100 things from the list. And I certainly look forward to trying the 2011 Big Eat list! Wish me luck… lots to eat, so little time. San Francisco… get in my BELLY!
p.s. I plan to strike through the listing just to keep track of what I have eaten.
1. Roast chicken and bread salad at Zuni
2. Coffee-rubbed pork shoulder at Range
3. Carnitas taco at La Taqueria
4. Fried chicken and waffles at Little Skillet
5. Chasu ramen at Katana-Ya <—– OMFG what a freakin’ good bowl of spicy miso chasu ramen!! Definitely the best.
6. Basil gimlet at Rye
7. Crab with cellophane noodles at the Slanted Door
8. Morning bun at Tartine Bakery <—– it was good, but the frangipane croissant and/or the double pain au chocolat deserves to be on this list because it was much more tastier! 9. Tofu soup with kimchi at My Tofu House <—— definitely some good soon tofu!
10. Nick’s Baja-style fish tacos at The Taco Shop at Underdogs
11. Pork sugo with pappardelle at Delfina
12. Porchetta sandwich at RoliRoti <——- awesomeness. it was porky goodness. 13. Soup dumplings at Shanghai Dumpling King <—– not quite Joe Shanghai’s caliber in NYC, but still a good West Coast alternative when craving XLBs.
14. Beef brisket sandwich at Il Cane Rosso
15. Any seasonal flavor at Scream Sorbet
16. Katsu curry from Muracci’s Japanese Curry & Grill
17. Samusa soup at Burma Superstar
18. Oysters on the half shell at Swan Oyster Depot <——– yummy.
19. Lobster pot pie at Michael Mina
20. Salumi misti plate at Perbacco
21. Pizza margherita at Pizzeria Delfina
22. Vietnamese roasted pork sandwich at Saigon Sandwich
23. Beer sausage with sauerkraut and grilled onions at Rosamunde Sausage Grill
(Bonus: Bring it Toronado next door and grab a beer to go with it.)
24. Blue Bell Bitter from the cask at Magnolia Pub
25. Loaf of bread straight out of the oven at Tartine
26. A bottle of Burgundy at RN74
27. Papaya salad with salty crab at Sai Jai Thai
28. A Gibraltar at Blue Bottle Café
29. Tuna tartare and a gin martini at Bix
30. Burger at Fish & Farm
31. Tuna Tostada at Tacolicious
32. Pupusas at Balompie Café
33. Prime rib at House of Prime Rib
34. Way too much cold sake at Oyaji
35. Salted-caramel ice cream at Bi-Rite Creamery <— I heart their salted caramel ice cream! It’s my McCreamy! 36. Dry-fried chicken wings at San Tung <—— It’s alright. My parents make this MUCH more yummier.
37. Rotisserie chicken at Limón Rotisserie
38. Burger and fries at the bar at Spruce
39. Pierna enchilada torta at La Torta Gorda
40. Cheeseburger with sweet potato fries at Taylor’s Automatic Refresher
41. Pho ga at Turtle Tower
42. Fried-shrimp po’boy at Brenda’s French Soul Food
43. An Old Fashioned at Alembic
44. One of Neyah White’s shrubs at Nopa
45. Secret Breakfast from Humphry Slocombe <—- Some would argue this was better than Bi-Rite Creamery. I completely disagree. But the secret breakfast ice cream was pretty damn good!
46. Chips and salsa at Papalote
47. Ceviche and a pisco sour on the patio at La Mar Cebichería Peruana
48. Angels on horseback at Anchor & Hope
49. Ginger snaps at Miette
50. An obscure Belgian beer at The Monk’s Kettle
51. Maccaronara with ricotta salata at A16
52. Coconut buns from King’s Bakery
53. Carnitas at Nopalito
55. Chicken porridge for breakfast at the Bush Street Out the Door <—– WOW. So many layers of flavors! It falls right behind my Mom’s turkey rice porridge.
56. Nuestra Paloma at Beretta
57. Agnolotti at Quince
58. Chicharrones from 4505 Meats
59. Huarache with cactus salad at El Huarache Loco
(Saturdays at the Alemany Farmers Market)
60. The Little Star at Little Star Pizza
61. Egg custard tart at Golden Gate Bakery <——- it’s really the best egg custard tart ever, especially when it’s fresh out of the oven! 62. Dim sum at Ton Kiang <—– I think dim sum at Gold Mountain Restaurant in Chinatown is much better.
63. Meatballs with grapes at Aziza
64. Sand dabs at Tadich Grill
65. Cookies-and-cream cookie and milk at Anthony’s Cookies
66. Pig parts at Incanto <—— DELICIOUS, and amazingly well prepared offal. See my review. 67. Paper masala dosa at Dosa <—— yummy! I crave their dosas!
68. The housemade hot dog at Absinthe
69. Foccacia at Liguria Bakery
70. Omakase menu at Sebo
71. Scotch egg at Wexler’s
72. Shanghai Buck at Heaven’s Dog
73. Popovers with strawberry butter at the Rotunda
74. Corned-beef sandwich with Gruyère at The Sentinel
75. Fried green beans at Coco500
76. Chicken hash at Ella’s
77. Eggs benedict on the back patio at Zazie
78. Super burrito at Taqueira Cancun
79. Onion strings at Alfred’s Steakhouse
80. Apple fritter at Bob’s Donuts
81. Chicken curry lunch special at Punjab Kabab House
82. Fried chickpeas at Piqueo’s
83. French fries at Universal Cafe
84. A margarita at Tommy’s Mexican Restaurant <—– the food and margarita is just alright.
85. Pulled-pork sandwich at Roadside BBQ
86. A cheese slice at Arinell Pizza
87. Sesame balls at Yank Sing <—- would much prefer them at Gold Mountain Restaurant in Chinatown.
88. Buckwheat crepe and a French cider at Ti Couz
89. Lettuce cups at Betelnut
90. Korean taco at Namu’s market stand <——– it was good, but that was it. Nothing spectacular. It was basically chopped kalbi korean bbq with rice, daikon, kimchee salsa, teriyaki and kimchee remoulade wrapped in toasted seaweed. It wasn’t worth $3 for one taco. At least we tried it.
91. Albondigas soup at Mijita
92. Bacon-wrapped hot dog from a cart in the Mission
93. Seven courses of beef at Pagolac
94. The house cappuccino at Tosca Café
95. 3 a.m. bowl of caldo verde soup at Grubstake
96. Ube ice cream from Mitchell’s <——– My all-time favorite ice cream flavor from Mitchell’s.
97. Lamb schawerma at Truly Mediterranean
98. Bloody Mary with brunch at Foreign Cinema
99. Clam chowder at Hog Island Oyster Co. <——- love this.
100. Menage a Trois at Ike’s Place