7×7’s 2011 List of Big Eat SF: 100 Things to Try Before You Die
Well, before I even had a chance to make a dent into the 7×7 2010 List of Big Eat SF, the 2011 list of 100 things to try before you die from 7×7 was published. Eek! We have lots of eating to do, and then some. Time to start chiseling away at the list! As I said in my last 7×7 list of foods to try… San Francisco, get in my BELLY!
p.s. I plan to strike through the listing just to keep track of what I have eaten.
1. Ma Po Tofu @ Mission Chinese Food
2. Roast Chicken with Bread Salad @ Zuni Cafe
3. Coffee-Rubbed Pork Shoulder @ Range Restaurant
4. Carnitas Taco @ La Taqueria
5. Chasu Ramen @ Katana-ya <—– OMFG what a freakin’ good bowl of spicy miso chasu ramen!! Definitely the best.
6. Puka Punch @ Smuggler’s Cove
7. Morning Bun @ Tartine Bakery <—– it was good, but the frangipane croissant and/or the double pain au chocolat deserves to be on this list because it was much more tastier!
8. Crab with Cellophane Noodles @ The Slanted Door
9. Eggs in Jail @ Outerlands
10. Hamburguesa @ Don Pisto’s
11. Pork Sugo with Papperdelle @ Delfina
12. Porchetta Sandwich @ Roli Roti at the Ferry Building Farmer’s Market <—– awesomeness. it was porky goodness! 13. Xiao Long Bao @ Shanghai Dumpling King <—– not quite Joe Shanghai’s caliber in NYC, but still a good West Coast alternative when craving XLBs.
14. Warm Egg Salad Sandwich @ Il Cane Rosso
15. Seasonal Sorbet @ Scream Sorbet (Ferry Building Marketplace)
16. Katsu Curry @ Muracci’s Japanese Grill
17. Pizza Margherita @ Pizzeria Delfina
18. $24 prix fixe @ Cotogna
19. Thousand year old quail egg @ Benu
20. Salumi Misti Plate @ Perbacco
21. Tonkotsu Ramen @ Izakaya Sozai
22. Roasted Pork Banh Mi @ Saigon Sandwiches
23. Strong beer @ Magnolia Pub & Brewery
24. Loaf of Bread @ Tartine Bakery
25. Pistachio meatballs @ Zare at Fly Trap
26. Spicy baby octopus stew @ La Ciccia Restaurant
27. Tuna Tartare and a Gin Martini @ Bix Restaurant
28. Clam Chowder @ Anchor Oyster Bar
29. Tuna Tostada @ Tacolicious
30. Pupusas @ Balompie Cafe
31. Prime Rib @ House of Prime Rib <——- really tender, juicy cut of prime rib with lots of yummy sides.
32. Steamed Bao with Pork Belly & Pickled Daikon @ Chairman Bao Truck
33. The Little Star @ Little Star Pizza
34. Burger @ Bar Tartine
35. Salted Caramel Ice Cream @ Bi-Rite Creamery <— I heart their salted caramel ice cream! It’s my McCreamy!
36. Soft garlic pretzels @ Absinthe Brasserie & Bar
37. Rotisserie Chicken @ Limon Peruvian Rotisserie
38. burger and fries @ Spruce
39. Paper Masala Dosa @ Dosa <——— only one word to describe the dosa… yummy!
40. Pierna Enchilada Torta @ La Torta Gorda
41. Ahi Tuna Burger @ Gott’s Roadside
42. Pho Ga @ Turtle Tower Restaurant
43. Tortilla Soup @ Chilango
44. Beer Sausage @ Rosamunda Sausage Grill
45. durk larb @ Lers Ros Thai Noodles
46. Secret Breakfast Ice Cream @ Humphry Slocombe —- Some would argue this was better than Bi-Rite Creamery. I completely disagree. But the secret breakfast ice cream was pretty damn good!
47. Chips and Salsa @ Papalote Mexican Grill
48. Belgian Waffle @ Blue Bottle Cafe
49. Ginger Snaps @ Miette Cakes
50. Belgian Beer @ Monk’s Kettle
51. Maccaronara with Ricotta Salata @ A16
52. Carnitas @ Nopalito
53. The Laphroaig Project @ Rickhouse
54. Spiced Chocolate Doughnut and Four Barrel Coffee @ Four Barrel Coffee
55. Sweetwater Oysters @ Hog Island Oyster Co. <——– i have to have this every time we are in SF. A little dash of horseradish, cocktail sauce, lemon juice, and tabasco makes the perfect toppings for a sweet oyster. 56. Chicken Porridge @ Out the Door <—– WOW. So many layers of flavors! It falls right behind my Mom’s turkey rice porridge.
57. Sandwich No. 1 @ Lucca Delicatessen
58. Pork shoulder fried rice @ Sai Jai Thai Restaurant
59. Hamburger @ 4505 Meats (Ferry Building Thursday & Saturday Market)
60. Huarache with Cactus Salad @ El Huarache Loco
61. Egg Custard Tart @ Golden Gate Bakery <——- it’s really the best egg custard tart ever, especially when it’s fresh out of the oven!
2. Dim Sum @ Ton Kiang <—— <—– Overpriced, and just alright. I think dim sum at Gold Mountain Restaurant in Chinatown is much better.
63. Pozole @ San Jalisco
64. Sand Dabs @ Tadich Grill
65. Cookies-and-Cream Cookie and Mik @ Anthony’s Cookies
66. Pig Parts @ Incanto Restaurant <—– yes, yes, and yes! DELICIOUS, and amazingly well prepared offal. See my review.
67. Meatloaf Sandwich @ Fatted Calf
68. Foccacia @ Liguria Bakery
69. Omakase @ Sebo
70. Shanghai Buck @ Heaven’s Dog
71. Fried Green Beans @ COCO500
72. popovers @ Wayfare Tavern
73. Corned Beef Sandwich with Gruyere @ The Sentinel
74. Eggs Benedict @ Zazie
75. Super Carne Asada Burrito @ El Farolito
76. Onion Strings @ Alfred’s Steak House
77. Fried chicken @ Foreign Cinema
78. Apple Fritter @ Bob’s Donut & Pastry Shop
79. Fried Shrimp Po’ Boy @ Brenda’s French Soul Food
80. Chicken Hash @ Ella’s Restaurant
81. Pickled egg with a Manhattan @ Comstock Saloon
82. Margarita @ Tommy’s Mexican Restaurant <——– great place for chips and salsa, blended margarita and good company!
83. Curry Bun @ Sandbox Bakery
84. Cheese Slice @ Arinell Pizza Inc
85. Sesame Balls @ Yank Sing Restaurant
86. Buckwheat Crepe with French Cider @ Ti Couz Creperie
87. Coconut Buns @ Kings Bakery Cafe
88. Lettuce Cups @ Betelnut
89. Korean Taco @ Namu (Ferry Building Farmer’s Market) <——– it was good, but that was it. Nothing spectacular. It was basically chopped kalbi korean bbq with rice, daikon, kimchee salsa, teriyaki and kimchee remoulade wrapped in toasted seaweed. It wasn’t worth $3 for one taco. At least we tried it.
90. Albondigas Soup @ Mijita
91. Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dog @ Mission, San Francisco, CA
92. Lumberjack Cake @ Frances
93. Seven Courses of Beef @ Pagolac
94. Irish Coffee @ Buena Vista Cafe <——– thank you Tyler Florence for his recommendation from “The Best Thing I Ever Drank” on Food Network! It was a really great irish coffee on a beautiful Saturday afternoon in the Marina District. However, this place is a tourist magnet, so beware!
95. 3 am Bowl of Caldo Verde Soup @ Grubstake
6. Ube Ice Cream @ Mitchell’s Ice Cream <——– My all-time favorite ice cream flavor from Mitchell’s.
97. Lamb Schawerma @ Truly Mediterranean
98. Chicken Curry Lunch Special @ Punjab Kebab House
99. Fried Chicken and Waffles @ Little Skillet
100. Cracked Whole Roasted Dungeness Crab @ Swan Oyster Depot